This pancake goes well with a variety of toppings and can be served as breakfast on its own or as a side dish with smoked fish, hummus, or simply just melted butter.
Apart from the pea shoots, the main ingredient here is garbanzo bean flour, which has a higher protein and nutritional fiber content than traditional flours like whole wheat.
Pea shoots are really easy to grow and even better to eat. Their delicate crunch and sweet flavor make them a wonderful complement to salads, sandwiches, and just about anything else. Alternatively, briefly sauté them with garlic to add a bouncy twist to scrambled eggs but today, let’s savor them in this pancake recipe.
Yields 10 Pancakes.
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pea shoots
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives
- Combine eggs, cottage cheese, oil, flour, garlic, lemon zest, and salt in a food processor or blender. Pulse and add pea shoots and chives.
- In a lightly oiled skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup batter to pan at a time, working in batches, and cook pancakes until bubbles form on top, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute more, or until the bottoms are browned and the centers are just cooked through.
- Leave pancakes to cool on a wire rack while you finish the rest of the batter.