This Spanakopita is very amazing! It’s one wonderful dish for any occasion, with a substantial spinach filling, a dash of feta cheese, a hint of nutmeg, and nutritious microgreens wrapped into a crispy phyllo dough shell! Make a lot so you can share!
Spanakopita is a Greek pastry with layers of phyllo dough folded over spinach and feta cheese. Typically, they are folded into triangles.
For this dish, microgreens are a necessity!! Go for kale microgreens. Their flavor is comparable to that of adult kale, but it’s a little sweeter and milder, with a nutty aftertaste.
They’re great in salads, sandwiches, smoothies, and as a garnish for almost any food. It’s even possible to produce micro kale chips!!
After their initial soak, kale microgreens are ready to peel in about 5-6 days and are ready to harvest in approximately 10 days! When they reach maturity, they are around 1.5-2 inches tall (typically shorter than broccoli microgreens), with magnificent bold and vivid green leaves.
Serves: 7- 10 servings
- 8 oz frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 roll phyllo dough (defrosted)
- 1 Whole Kale Microgreen Seed Quilt
- Garnish: Microgreens and salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the spinach, microgreens, feta, egg, salt, nutmeg, and onion in a bowl with salt and pepper.
- In a small pot, melt butter and prepare your pasty brush.
- Roll out the phyllo dough and cut all of the sheets in half vertically with a sharp knife so you have two sets of 4 1/2″ x 17″ phyllos sheets.
- Brush the top sheet of phyllo with butter and arrange it on a level surface.
- Place a second phyllo sheet on top of the first. Brush with butter once more.
- Repeat with a third sheet.
- Place two heaping spoonful of the filling on the phyllo dough’s corner. Fold one corner into a triangle and place it over the filling.
- Press down on the triangle to evenly distribute the filling. Brush a small amount of butter over the top.
- Fold the dough in half again until you have one small triangle package. Cover with a kitchen towel and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush all of the Spanakopita tops with butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with fresh microgreens, if desired.
For The Best Helena Microgreens Contact Visit www.tizermicrogreens.com