It couldn’t be any easier to get your microgreens into your diet. These flavorful pancakes aren’t only for breakfast. Serve them with some lightly dressed arugula and more microgreens at any time! They are very tasty when topped with lime butter and paired with something soft and crunchy, such as sautéed haricot verts or a lightly dressed salad.
You can prepare these for your children as well; it’s a terrific way to get them to eat more spinach and vegetables. You can also substitute garbanzo flour for self-rising flour and Himalayan salt for table salt.
This savory Pancake is high in protein and calcium from the egg, as well as healthful green vegetables. It’s a great way to start the day. They have a hint of spice from the chili peppers and a lot of green. They’re fluffy, not heavy like a fritter, thanks to egg whites and a liberal amount of baking powder.
- Handful microgreens
- Lime butter
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chile flakes
- 8 cupsspinach, washed
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 medium green onions, finely sliced
- 2 fresh green chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 egg white
- Olive oil for frying
- Make the lime butter In a medium mixing bowl; whip the butter until it is soft and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Place the mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a sausage. Chill until the mixture is solid.
- In a pan with a splash of water, wilt the spinach until it is completely dry. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a large mixing basin, whisk together the flour, baking powder, whole egg, melted butter, salt, cumin, and milk until smooth.
- Toss in the green onions, chilies, and spinach with a fork to combine. Gently mix the egg white into the batter and whisk.
- Heat a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat with a tiny amount of olive oil.
- Place 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan and gently press down. Y
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden-green color is achieved.
- To serve, stack three heated pancakes per person on a plate and top each with microgreens and a piece of flavored butter to melt.